Saturday 9 October 2010

New Lathe in The Making

I have recently been constructing a portable pole lathe for re-enactment so that I can demonstrate bowl turning at future events. This is because I am starting to get a little bored with just fighting at events and would prefer to have to a “role” or “craft” to do when I’m not fighting.


The bed is made out of an entire trunk of birch as you can see from the white bark still present. It was the largest piece of material I had at the time and decided that I would use it for now until I find a larger piece……that is if it ever requires a new bed. The legs are ash and the poppets are made out of the ash I used for my other pole lathe (recycle recycle).


I still need to make the treadle and tool rest. I will take my time on the tool rest as I don’t want to get it wrong. Once those are sorted I need to make up a load of tools authentic for re-enactment.

All in all a lot more work to do over the winter. no rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment