Sunday 10 June 2012

Mediaval IPad (Aka Wax Tablet) Finished

Last night I finished off the wooden blank for the wax tablet and decided to make the wax for it. Luckily there are lots of articles online about how to do this. Most just suggest using charcoal or lamp black to make the wax black, so I ground up some charcoal into powder because it was ready available.



After chopping up the beeswax I placed it in a home made double boiler and mixed in some of the charcoal powder.



It felt almost like some form of alchemy waiting for the black colour to show. After a couple of tests, this was the result (compared to the original colour).


When the wax was ready then came the time to pour. Now this was the interesting bit. Had to be very quick as the wax dries very quickly  so to get an even surface and get the wax into the corners. But after three attempts at pouring and scraping out, i finally got the wax into the corners and an even-ish surface!


Its not as perfect as I would like it but its very good first attempt I feel. Plus I have have learnt lots of things for the future when I make an entire set of them.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome work Mr. Schoolteacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the ‘Get to the Point’ guy… 3rd from the left…. I know, I am easily amused….wood works in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about heating up wooden blank to give your wax more time to level out?

    ReplyDelete